Thursday, November 12, 2015

Writing Inspiration

 A lot of things can inspire me to write.

 I can't tell you how many times I've zoned out at the dinner table while thinking about books, writing, more books, random things, etc. I get a lot of my book ideas while I'm zoned out in my own La La Land. I also get a lot of book ideas when I can't sleep at night...When I first started writing, I had to keep a notebook by my bed because I didn't have a phone at the time. The "Notes" App really comes in handy in the middle of the night.

 Some of my ideas for things that I want to happen in a current book I'm writing, or a book I plan on writing, also come from conversations. I can be talking to a friend, or a family member and they'll say something that makes a light bulb appear above my head like in a Loony Tunes cartoon.

 Music also inspires me. It gets me pumped up and excited to write, especially if the lyrics/beat match the current mood of my story. It's hard for me to write without music. I don't know how some authors go without it. I feel like I'm more focused and in-the-zone.

 Sometimes when I read a really good book I can get, what I call, "The Writing Itch." Reading a few pages of my current read can give me the push I need to sit down at my computer and start typing. Though sometimes it can have the opposite effect and make me do this:


 My constantly-active imagination makes it easy to come up with random ideas to throw into a book. To let my imagination run completely wild, all I have to do is put on my headphones, and listen to music. If I don't have music, it's difficult for me to write. Very difficult.

 Inspiration is all around us, you just have to pay attention. Whether you draw, or paint, or write books, short stories, poetry, etc. there is always something that inspires us. We take in the life and interactions around us and imbed them in our creations.

 So go out this weekend and get inspired! Go with that gut feeling you have once you get inspired and follow through with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment