Tuesday, June 23, 2015

My Writing Struggles

 Lately, I've had serious writer's block. At least, I've been calling it writer's block. It's really called procrastinating.

 As you know, I'm homeschooled. But what you don't know is that I do school year-round, so I'm currently still in school, finishing out my senior year until the end of this year, or sooner, depending on when I finish up the last of my subjects. I'm hoping to finish sooner to have some time off, so lately I've been doing a lot of school and not a lot of writing.

 When I finish school, it's relatively late because I also have 2 semi-part-time jobs on top of school because I have payments to make, and because it's so late, I don't feel like writing afterword. I always have an excuse. "Oh, I'm too tired," "I should probably read those books for school instead," "I'll do it tomorrow." The real reason is this, "I have writer's block because I just started a new book and don't feel like dealing with it because I'm too lazy."

 I'm also editing my last novel so I can attempt to get it published. I want to take my time with it to make it as good as it can possibly be. So that takes up time. I've finished the first phase of editing it and about to start the second. (I'll talk about my editing process another time). I'm hoping to get this book traditionally published, but I might self-publish it later on when I have enough money.

 I'm getting really tired of not writing, but I haven't been able to motivate myself enough to write. Music isn't enough to motivate me, for once. I haven't read any young adult novels in a few months, so maybe that is adding to my slump.

 I don't know what's causing it exactly; I just know I want to write again. I want my writer's buzz back. I want to feel the words bubble up inside me until I have to get them down on paper. I want my story to flow--to pour from me.

 Writing isn't effortless. It takes time and commitment (that's why I'm struggling. I currently have neither). But sometimes words just flow, and without the flow, it's difficult to write. The words don't have to pour from you immediately, but after a while it should.

 I'm going to try to get my flow back this week. Wish me luck!

www.ashleyearley.com



No comments:

Post a Comment