Saturday, March 25, 2017

How Long Should My Query Synopsis Be?

   Since I'm writing summaries for the books I've been revising, I decided to share some more query letter secrets with you. If you guys like this post, I will share a few more query letter structure secrets! So leave a comment to let me know!

 How long should my query synopsis be? When I first started sending my books out to agents, I found myself asking this too often. I felt like my synopsis was too long, or too short. It never seemed good enough. It never sounded professional enough. It didn't seem to bring forth my story--convey my book well.

 Well, hopefully this will help you as it had helped me. Let's break this down.

 A query synopsis should only be about 150-200 words in length. This is only a few paragraphs. I know that this seems pretty short, but it's actually the perfect length. Not too long, but also not too short. As Goldilocks would say, "It's juuuuust right."

 This word-count will force you to pick 1-2 main points in your synopsis. You don't want to give too much away in your synopsis. You can't reveal every plot point. This won't hook your readers. Only drive 1-2 points and you're good to go!

 If you're unsure about how to go about this, you can go to your bookshelf, or Goodreads.com, and read the synopsis of books that are similar to yours in genre. Then go on to write your own synopsis!

Good luck writing your synopsis!
www.ashleyearley.com
www.ashleyearleybooks.tumblr.com


No comments:

Post a Comment