Saturday, June 13, 2015

My Journey of Self-Publishing (Part 2)

  Part 2 about my journey of self-publishing.

 The last thing I needed was for the artist to agree not to sell my cover to anyone else. She refused to sign anything that said this, and broke off our deal after working together for months, telling me that I couldn't use the cover. I was both devastated and furious, and without a plan B.

 I went on a rampage to try to find another artist that I could trust. I was nervous about multiple things:

1) I loved the cover the other artist had made! What if I spent a lot of money on another cover but it wasn't nearly as great as the other one? What if I liked it, but didn't love it like the other one?

2) What if I found another artist and they turned on me too because they wanted to sell the cover to another person? I didn't want to have the same cover as someone else!

3) Okay, maybe I can show the new artist the old cover I had for my book, and tried to get him/her to do something like it? But what if it wasn't like it enough that I liked it? I wanted something similar but I wanted it to look good...

 I was really nervous about getting a new cover and hiring a new artist. But then I talked to one of my closest friends, who told me that I needed to take the chance, after all, I've come so far already. She knew that if I didn't do it, I would regret it. After talking to her, I felt a little better, so I started to seriously look for an artist.

 That was when I found http://phatpuppyart.com/

 I was sent a bunch of information about payment and options on how to do the cover within minutes of contacting this artist. I asked multiple questions, emailing back and forth with Claudia for almost an hour. She even called me to answer some of the questions I had! After reading as much about www.phatpuppyart.com/ and talking with the owner of the website, I felt so much better about working on a new cover! I was really excited to see how the cover would turn out! Though it was out of my budget, Claudia helped me with that, and so did my parents, who offered to give me a loan.

 The phatpuppyart team worked with me to get the cover how I wanted it, answering my emails and contacting me within an hour. I was super happy about how fast everyone answered my emails, and how they asked so many questions to get the cover the way I wanted it!

 When the final art was sent to me, I was ecstatic! It looked amazing! I loved it more than the last one! The art was amazing and I loved working with everyone to get it done! I can't wait to work with them again :)

 Now, after waiting for so long, it was finally time to publish The Darkest Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment